The image above shows the latest European ensemble 500 mb chart (the jet stream level) from Christmas through December 30th.
- In the short-term, a strong subtropical ridge of high pressure off the Atlantic coastline will continue to shun the storm track well west of the Mid-Atlantic.
Next let’s take a look at the European Ensemble surface temperature anomalies during the time frame:
- Warmer than “average” temperatures will be a prime theme through the last week in December with a cold shot likely right around December 30th. Arctic air may begin to infiltrate the Pacific northwest the first week in January and it remains to be seen as to how far this next intrusion of cold air will make it further east.
The next graph shows the European Meteogram showing temperatures and precipitation through the 3rd of January:
- Lows are shown along the black line (minimums)
- Highs are shown along the pink line (maximums)
- We may hit 60 degrees during the middle portion of next week before temperatures tumble just after New Years Day
European Ensembles for Snowfall:
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays !